Authenticity is underrated. Most people would say it’s about being honest with the world, but It’s actually about being honest with yourself.
There’s a ton of advantages to living authentically. Most importantly, you will begin feeling so confident with how awesome you are that you’ll no longer feel the need to change your words and actions to get approval from others. You get to chillax and just be you. FREEDOM!
Being authentic is easy once you have dug deep to find your goals and values. Authenticity becomes not only possible but natural when you know what is important to you.
Embrace authenticity and live honestly
1. Give up the need to be perfect. (Excellent is good enough). But seriously, when you don’t strive to be perfect, you’re in a position to be honest. No one can be perfect and honest at the same time. Quit putting on a show for the rest of the world. You’ll only feel bad about yourself later.
It’s okay to be less than spectacular. Comparison is the thief of joy, Be the best at being yourself. That’s your super power, no one can be you!
2. Know your values. If you know your values and stand firm with them consistently, you’re already doing well in the authentic department. Make a list of your values and determine the five that are most important to you. Are you living your life according to those values? Would it be obvious to others what your values were just by watching how you behave and the decisions you make? Decide to make your decisions based upon your values and what’s important to you!
3. Notice when you’re not being authentic. It’s not easy to be authentic all the time. You might find yourself acting differently in different situations. A first date is a good example. You can be authentic and still be showcasing your best self without being someone you’re not.
Take note of the times your authenticity starts to bend for other people out of fear they won’t approve.
4. Know your goals. What do you want out of life? Do you know? Are you willing to let others know?
Make a list of your short-term and long-term goals. How well do they align with your values? How well do they align with your actions?
5. What characteristics define you? Describe yourself honestly. Now ask yourself if a casual acquaintance would describe you the same way. How about someone that knows you well? How about your closest friend? HINT: If you are being authentically you than the answer to all of those is yes!
What are your “negative” characteristics? Are you impatient or messy? Are you willing to be vulnerable and let other people see you in that light?
6. Tell the truth. You don’t need to lie to anyone about anything when you living authentically. This is most noticeable with the things we say about ourselves. It’s ok to admit your mistakes and weaknesses as well and your wins and strengths. Sharing with vulnerability and honesty is the pathway to freedom.
7. Simplify your life. Get rid of everything that drags you down. What you keep around is representative of your preferences and your true self. Tap into your true essence by stripping away the non-essentials. Start with the clothes you never wear, the things you never use, and the activities you don’t enjoy. You cannot open space for new things if you hold onto the old heavy stuff.
Ditch anything that has a bad vibe or that is creating clutter!
8. Do what you say you’ll do. Keep your word and follow through on your promises. When your words and actions match, you’re authentically you!
Life becomes Happy, Joyous and Free when you live authentically. You no longer feel the anxiety and overwhelm that comes with constantly changing your opinions, attitudes, and personality to get the approval of others. It’s an incredible place to be when you ditch the need for approval and accept yourself for who you are! Invest in getting to know yourself, open up to people about how you feel, and authenticity will start flowing naturally and vibrantly for all the world to see!
Until next week,